When creating my ‘Mariana Trench’ poster, I already had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to do with it and how I wanted the design to look. I wanted the text to funnel down the trench however I didn’t know how I wanted the walls to look or the text itself so I began with this. I quickly decided that the white was too bracing and hard to look at. I had a couple of ideas of how to fix this problem and I came up with the idea of changing the font to a blue with would get darker, the further it went down the page, representing the depth.
This is my edited poster which I loved so much more than the previous one. The text is slightly more difficult to read however it is now much easier to look at whereas before it was too distracting. I then looked at what need to be changed from here and I decided that the sky at the top was too empty and it needed something to help break up the negative space, I figured clouds was a good way to do that. I also decided that the trench walls were hideous and needed to be fixed so they didn’t look so terrible, I came to the conclusion that adding more layers of colour may help break it up and make it bearable to look at.
This is my final design that I decided on. As you can see I added some clouds to the top and make them slightly translucent so as not to distract too much but to still break up that negative space. I also added layers to the walls and made them much darker as they went down in order to make them seem more detailed and less painful to look at. I am overall very happy with this design and it was actually part of my portfolio.