When looking at my research I tried to collect an eclectic selection of research items, varying from skateboard designs, t-shirts, hats, shoes, jumpers/hoodies and skateboard wheels. When looking at all of these different items I had no real idea of what I was looking for and so everything in my research is different from each other since I had no real idea what I was looking for. When I have finally decided exactly what direction I will be taking with each item, I will do extensive research on each section again in order to fully explain my ideas, direction and planning of each design.
The main thing that I found was that my initial audience has changed. While I haven’t pinpointed the exact audience I am going for, I had a rough idea of who I wanted to target. This was young teens to young adults, (about 14 – 21) who would listen to punk/pop-punk. This is the audience I thought I was going to be sticking with, however the more I researched, the more I found that I was more drawn to the idea of targeting a more indie/hipster demographic. This was because I want to focus on more graphics based designs which would in turn appeal to this audience more rather than the punk/pop-punk demographic. I also want to work with more block styled typography which is more modern and clean cut rather than punk designs which are mostly hand drawn, rough and gritty. Which is still a viable style, but just not the one that I want to pursue here.
My research has given me pretty solid ideas of what kind of designs I want to do however I am still unsure what kind of design directions I want to take. I think this is something that will have to be explored further in my idea generation where I will simply have to experiment with every idea which I think would make a decent design. Once I decide who my target audience is exactly, then my idea generation will become much easier and my ideas will become a lot more concise.
My research also helped me realise that I don’t want to create a shoe design. This is because I feel like it would be additional unnecessary work and would be difficult to create designs for due to their shape. Overall I feel like it would be a waste of time and resources and my time would be much better spent focusing on the rest of my designs which will be taking up my time.